Thursday, December 15, 2011

Two trades may make a right.

I've once heard a saying that there are only two seasons in the year. Winter and Baseball. While I am all for changing the calenders accordingly, I don't think people with yearly cat calendars will appreciate it. In regards to to the Giants winter this year, it hasn't been pretty thus far, but it hasn't been ugly either. Without going into depth about who had arbitration, salary raises, re-signings, and who dated who, I just want to discuss the two newest acquisitions to date. Melky Cabrera and Angel Pagan. I'm fairly certain that "The Franchise" will go on to have a quiet off season for the remainder, which makes for a closer debate on the two new Giants.

Melky Cabrera trade with the Kansas City Royals
Giants trade - Jonathan Sanchez, Ryan Verdugo (minor league prospect)
Royals trade - Melky Cabrera

Pros: Cabrera had a breakout year last year going .305/18/87 with 20 stolen bases and 102 runs. Adds speed to a slow lineup. Younger roster. Potentially saves money.
Cons: Cabrera has only one solid year, previous years are mediocre. Jonathan Sanchez has a more promising future on paper.
Overall: Not a fan of this trade. The key to being successful in baseball is consistency, and while consistency is also one of the hardest things to achieve, Cabrera has not been consistent. Too often in the MLB is one breakout season overvalued. Barry Zito is a perfect example. I know I'm being a pessimist but its hard to positive towards a player when the sport is relentless towards promising seasons. On the other hand, I do like Cabrera's speed and base running abilities, which is a very welcome addition. On the other other hand, Jonathan Sanchez was a personal gut blow to me. I believe that he can only get better due to his ridiculous high potential (I feel very biased here). I do understand however, that the Giants were very patient with him and that patience had grown thin. All the hate towards this trade aside, there is always a chance that Cabrera continues his breakout performance.

Angel Pagan trade with the New York Mets
Giants trade -  Andres Torres, Ramon Ramirez
Mets trade - Angel Pagan

Pros: Veteran presence. Great speed to lineup. Great base stealer. Traded little for a greater upside.
Cons: Rumored to dislike the lead off spot. Mediocre defender. Lost a fast arm.
Overall: I like this trade (I could also be a little biased here). Pagan is a great base stealer with 37 in 2010 and 32 in 2011. Stealing 2nd base at the top of the line up could be crucial for Freddy Sanchez and Buster Posey who hit gap to gap, enabling Pagan to score easily. While It's obvious that this will won't happen all the time, fans can look for this formula throughout the season. I imagine that Pagan will have a on-going green light to steal, something Giants fans have missed in the last few seasons. I discourage the rumors about Pagan's personal preference to lead off, as a true lead off hitter is exactly what the Giants need.

Potential Lineup of 2012
1. Angel Pagan CF
2. Freddy Sanchez 2B
3. Pablo Sandoval 3B
4. Buster Posey C
5. Melky Cabrera LF
6. Aubrey Huff 1B
7. Nate Schierholtz RF
8. Brandon Crawford SS
9. Tim Lincecum P

This honestly scares me to death. If one of these players gets hurt, the wins above replacement in the lineup will take a plunge. Injuries do happen and the depth of the Giants is not what it was last year - which was severely tested as we all remember. Mike Fontenot and Emmanuel Burriss will be considered back ups for the infield while Chris Stewart will back up Buster Posey. The 2012 season could possibly make way for a new upcoming rookie or a breakout season for any non starter who gets a chance.    

With the Giants winter meetings and off season acquisitions and trades potentially over, the two trades thus far will make an impact. Even if Cabrera and Pagan don't hit as subscribed, the changes in speed will help dramatically. Like every beginning to a season, breakdowns and analytics can only go so far. By the opening game, the "Pagan formula" will hopefully be in daily effect.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment